Once science has spoken, one should remain silent.

Journey to the Center of the Earth (Trade Paperback) - Jules Verne, Ursula K. Heise, Frederick Amadeus Malleson, Rachel Perkins
“Science, my boy, is built on errors, but errors which it’s good to commit because they gradually lead to the truth.”

A novel that contained a lot of scientific details (albeit outdated not to mention some were completely off the marks) and geological terms. Being on familiar ground with those terms did not endear this story to me though. I was thorougly bored for the most part of the story. Thankfully, it picked up once the trio were deep under the mountain.

However, it kinda weird for the supposed “scientists” / “researchers” a.k.a. Axel and Professor Liedenbrock did not spend much time exploring and studying the plants, rocks and other stuff they saw and found throughout their journey. Instead, the professor was blinded by his one goal—to get to the center of the earth. That did not at all fit as behaviour of a scholar, in my humble opinion. Who went into the center of the earth, encountered living creatures that were supposedly extinct million of years ago and possible early ancestors of human yet did not spend time to study them?! That being said, Professor Liedenbrock was not at all bad. Despite being exhibit A for ‘mad scientist’, the professor softened my view of him when he became more like of an uncle to Axel during some of the most stressing times they suffered through during the adventure. i.e. He saved the last drop of water for Axel in his bottle and refrained himself from drinking it for Axel’s sake. Axel, on the other hand, appeared as nothing more than a brat throughout the novel. He either whined, fainted, complaint, or lamented his supposedly inevitable doom. He did have his moment though when he made witty, dry comments and I couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Well, as a devoted nephew I considered it my duty to eat for him as well as for myself. That I did conscientiously.”
“Very good! I thought, just the place where we should spend the rest of our days! And large though it is, that asylum is not big enough to contain all Professor Lidenbrock’s madness.”

Furthermore, his behaviour was quite forgiveable considering that the guy did not enter into the journey willingly, but still! I’d expected more courage and bravery from him. Instead, it was from Hans the guide that I got to see those virtues, which was why he was my favorite character.

1.5 stars!