Let's be a ferryman and watch a river 24/7 to be happy

Siddhartha: An Indian Poem - Hermann Hesse, Susan Bernofsky, Tom Robbins
“Words do not express thoughts very well. They always become a little different immediately they are expressed, a little distorted, a little foolish.”
I read the Modern Library edition, translated by Susan Bernofsky with an introduction by Tom Robbins. I liked this translation and it was easy to understand, comprehensible. I’ve compared it with the free ebook provided by Goodreads and I did not like that translation much. The introduction by Tom Robbins was well crafted. It was succint and to the point. Thanks to the introduction, I understood more of the story. He used references that was not unfamiliar to me so those helped too.
The reasons I read it was one, because of the seemingly short length and two, I was intrigued to read the author’s work. I won’t pretend to understand Siddartha, his journey towards self discovery, this book or whatever else that entailed. I am a simple person, and besides, in Siddharta’s words:
“Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, live it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it.”
I applauded Hesse’s effort in writing this and his talent in communicating a thought provoking work. However, I did not feel as if I’ve changed much. Sure, it made me think and wonder for a while but in the end, the charm was broken once I separated from this book. I stopped to care about the philosophy. Maybe, one day, I’ll come to understand Siddharta more. If or when I’ve lived more and went through more trials...maybe...
“I have had to experience so much stupidity, so many vices, so much error, so much nausea, disillusionment and sorrow, just in order to become a child again and begin anew. I had to experience despair, I had to sink to the greatest mental depths, to thoughts of suicide, in order to experience grace.”
I end my review with my favorite phrase from the book.
“What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
3 stars!