Some kind of slow and boring and dragging

Some Kind of Peace: A Novel - Camilla Grebe, sa Trff, Paul Norlen
“It’s impossible to see through a person. You can’t tell from the outside whether someone has performed evil actions or had evil thoughts. If a person has decided to conceal or withhold parts of himself, it is extremely difficult to see through the lies and discover the omitted truth.”

Some Kind of Peace opened with a prologue showing a teenage girl had died outside her house and two people (presumably her parents) found her body. We then proceeded to chapter 1 and met our protagonist, Siri Bergman, a psychologist who was in the middle of a therapy session with one of her patient, Sara, who was later murdered by Siri’s stalker.

I dove into this book thinking it was a heart stopping thriller or at least a decent mystery judging from the number of glowing reviews that I’ve seen; alas, I was in for a disappointment. The novel itselfwas well written and easy to read. In fact, I really like the writing style. The story was told from first person point of view by Siri and there were the occassional third person point of view of Siri’s mysterious stalker. However, the problem for me lied with the main character, Siri and it affected my enjoyment of the storyline.

Siri was a flawed character. Despite her being a psychologist and giving therapies to her patients, she herself actually needed help too. She had recently lost her husband, Stefan, and she also had few other problems such as her fear of the dark (she had to keep all the lights in her house on) and her dependant on alcohol to help her sleep. Now, all these actually made her much more interesting in my opinion. However, when things started to go bad for her, I expected more and she let me down. Not only did she continue being foolishly stubborn, for a smart woman, she made a number of stupid decisions. She also had the habit of thinking the worst of everyone and jumping to conclusion which annoyed me. Siri did redeem herself in the end though when she finally accepted that she needed help and attended therapy, so hooray for Siri.

“The intent is more important that the cause. The cause is mechanical, the intent has a direction, a force of its own.”

The identity of Siri’s stalker was predictable although the way the end played out was rather unexpected and kinda came out of the nowhere after the long and slow storyline. It was also sad and horrible the way this person had used as well as hurt (even killed) people just for revenge / misguided sense of justice.

“I was forced to do it. For her sake... forced to see that justice was done. That was the only way, the only way to get... some kind of peace.”